Thursday, February 17, 2011

Favorite Things of the Week

Taking a cue from the fabulous Ms. O – here are a few of my favorite fun things from the past week:

  1. Flying, Fuddruckers, Richardson’s, oh my!
On Saturday, B and I ventured out of the city limits and enrolled in trapeze school -  http://boston.trapezeschool.com/
Predictably, she flew through the air with the greatest of ease, while I…almost maimed an instructor.  However, I did manage to execute a knee hang, back flips and a catch with an instructor wearing flame covered pants. 

After two hours of flight, we met up with our friends and headed over to the deliciousness that is Fuddruckers…. mmm… buttered hamburger buns, hearty fries, and the scent of Middle America.  After my ½ pound of beef, I was full, but gamely soldiered on with the superpremium mint chocolate chip ice cream.  All in all, 4.5 entertaining hours in the Jordan’s complex - I give the experience 8.0 out of 10 stars.  (docked 2 stars for nausea) (Thanks to W, J, K & S – we couldn’t have done it without you!)

Here’s B’s take on the experience:
It was a 7.5 out of 10.
Lessons learned:
1. trapez'ing is an activity for 11 year olds, women with enormous biceps, and small men under 205 lbs
2. nothing is more amazing than the moment when a man pulls his sweatpants down to reveal flaming spandex underneath
3. hopping off the edge of the platform requires years of practice - let's go find some stairs, pronto!
4. the official/unofficial uniform for trapez'ing is all lululemon all the time

  1. Douch-ay?
S and I tried out a new-ish restaurant in the Back Bay, the pretentiously named, Deuxave.  http://deuxave.com/  Although our experience might have been influenced by the special (extortionist?) Valentine’s Day menu, I thought the food was quite decent, although the portions were very small.  In particular, I recommend the trio of lamb and creamy mashed potatoes. Décor – contemporary New American, Service – sloooooooooooow and the Crowd – well, maybe it would be best to check back on a different night. 
6.5 out of 10 stars

  1. Farewell, Village Idiot
When I first moved to NYC, one of my favorite bars was the Village Idiot in the West Village - $5 pitchers of PBR, a juke box that only played country music and magical drunken nights that I can barely remember.  Coming from years spent in the fraternity basements of a certain New England college, the Village Idiot felt like home – a refuge from the exciting, yet sometimes overwhelming glamour and excitement of the big city. 

On Tuesday, I was in NYC for a work meeting and met a couple of friends for dinner.  To my surprise and dismay, the “newest, trendy” restaurant, Scarpetta, was where my old haunt used to be.  With the soaring popularity of the Meatpacking district, rent had escalated to the point where neighborhood dive bars were priced out.  Contemporary architecture, $30 entrees and fine Italian wines replaced sticky floors, 3:30AM last calls and Johnny Cash.  While the restaurant was mouthwateringly good, it was the end of an era. 

  1. Is Gwyneth Paltrow bad at anything??

5. Shout out to my Celtics for beating Dwyane Wade’s Miami Heat while severely undermanned.  Special props to Jesus Shuttlesworth for breaking the NBA’s all-time record for three pointers and looking sooooooo good while doing it.   

No comments:

Post a Comment